CHOCOLATE DIPPED PERSIMMON BARS
If you haven't noticed by now, dessert is one of my favorite things to make (and perhaps eat). I love creating treats that are indulgent but also provide nourishment and satisfaction. I believe that dessert is one of the best ways to connect with others and build stronger relationships. Because who doesn't love dessert?
This recipe was specifically created to share in Dessert Medicine. Julia and I made magic in the kitchen and then played at the park while we enjoyed these delicious bars. Hop on over to her blog to get inspired and see pictures of the process: http://www.dessertmedicine.com/blog/2015/10/30/dessert-maker-giovanna-garcia.
Photo by Julia Corbett
4 Fuyu persimmons, chopped
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
3/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup dried figs
1/3 cup goji berries
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tablespoons lucuma powder
1 teaspoon he shou wu powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
Sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place chopped persimmons in a baking dish and toss with coconut oil, cinnamon, cardamom, and a pinch of sea salt. Bake for 10-20 minutes, until soft.
3. In a food processor, combine baked persimmons along with remaining ingredients (except chocolate). Process until mixture sticks together when pressed with fingers.
4. Line a dish or baking tin with parchment paper and press mixture down to flatten into desired thickness. Place in the freezer while you melt your chocolate. Melt chocolate on a double boiler.
5. Remove dish from freezer and cut mixture into bars. Dip each bar into melted chocolate and place on a parchment-lined plate or baking sheet. Once finished with all bars, place back in freezer until chocolate firms up.
6. Remove from freezer and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Makes ~10 bars