Wellness Wednesday: MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS
MAGICAL MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS
In this week's Wellness Wednesday, we return back to our roots: medicinal mushrooms. We could probably write a book about all the health benefits of mycelium (and in fact, many people have!). We, however, are in the business of making good and good-for-you chocolate. We'll keep our praises limited to a short & sweet blog post.
What do we love about the 'shrooms? In addition to strengthening the immune system, reducing inflammation, and supporting longevity, mushrooms also help calm, de-stress your system, and improve your overall nutrition. So of COURSE we had to include a special medicinal mushroom blend in our original Live A Lot chocolate recipe (what is now known as our UNWIND bar). In this week's post, we break down each mushroom component in our chocolate to show the substantive health benefits of these powerful ingredients!
Our medicinal mushroom blend consists of high-quality organic, freeze-dried mycelium biomass. Here is a breakdown of the most prominent mushrooms featured in our blend:
- Brazillian Blazei (Agaricus blazei): Nutrition-packed with high levels of calcium, potassium, magnesium, and other minerals. Supports the immune system. Fights viral and bacterial infections. Can also help alleviate inflammation and support the liver.
- Antrodia camphorate (Niu-Chang): A rare indigenous medicinal mushroom that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to improve liver function. Also has strong antioxidant properties.
- Wood Ear (Auricularia auricula): Rich in fiber as well as iron. Also an antioxidant loaded with Vitamin B-2, which helps keep hair, skin, and eyes healthy!
- Cordyceps militaris and sinensis (Caterpillar Mushroom): Supports healthy lungs, liver, and heart. Demonstrates adaptogenic properties which help with adrenal health.
- Turkey Tail (Coriolus versicolor): A potent superfood that also helps supports the immune system. Works as an anti-viral agent, helping to eliminate and prevent viruses.
- Enoki (Flammulina velutipes): Excellent source of Vitamin B, zinc, potassium, iron, dietary fiber, Vitamin D, amino acids, and more. Supports immunity and may also help regulate blood sugar.
- Ice Man Fungus (Fomes fomentarius): Antimicrobial, used to treat infections as well as arthritis.
- Agarikon (Fomitopsis officinalis): A strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent with antiviral properties. In indigenous cultures in North America, this mushroom also has a spiritual quality, being used in shamanic rituals.
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum): Known as the "mushrooms of immortality" in Asia. Promotes brain health and liver cell regeneration, as well as boosts immunity,
We can obviously dive deeper into each of these varieties of mushrooms (and we do have so many other types included in our blend!). Instead, we invite you to try our UNWIND bar for yourself. Taste (and feel) the difference in your body with this powerful medicine. We're confident that it won't disappoint!
The Live A Lot Team